Action
As football restarts around Europe, France questions decision end to season early
It is the land of the world champions, but is it really a football country? That is the question some in France have been asking this week while its European neighbours work to bring the sport back after the coronavirus shutdown.
Debate has raged ever since the French league decided to bring a premature end to the season in late April with 10 rounds of matches unplayed.
In contrast, a fortnight has already passed since the German Bundesliga restarted.
On Thursday Italy’s sports minister confirmed that Serie A will return on June 20, while La Liga and the Premier League both look set to be back underway by then.
“Like idiots” was the headline on the front of L’Equipe on Friday, as the sports daily questioned why such a hasty decision was made by the league (LFP) to end the season.
The LFP’s announcement at the time was based on French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe’s statement that the season “cannot restart” as the pandemic raged in late April.
However, France has been steadily easing its lockdown in recent weeks and Philippe stated on Thursday that team sports could restart after June 21.
“We will be the only major footballing country in Europe to stick to this decision and to have not conditioned it to the evolution of the pandemic and the easing of the lockdown,” wrote L’Equipe’s Vincent Duluc.
France has officially recorded nearly 29,000 deaths from Covid-19, far more than Germany but fewer than Italy or the UK and fewer than Spain per head of population.

France is not the only European football nation to have ended its season, with the Netherlands notably voiding the campaign altogether.
Paris Saint-Germain were crowned champions for the third year running. Amiens and Toulouse were relegated and those clubs have since launched legal action.
However, the leading voice against the early ending has been Jean-Michel Aulas, president of Lyon. They were seventh when the season stopped in mid-March and so were denied European qualification.
Neither they nor PSG will now have any competitive action before the Champions League — in which both are still involved — is expected to restart in August.
“I am fully convinced that what has happened was not for the good of the clubs or French football as a whole,” Aulas told Le Parisien.
Economic damage
His chief argument has been economic. Earlier in May the league said it would have to take out a government-guaranteed loan of some 225 million euros ($250 million) to tide over clubs impacted by the loss in income from broadcasters because so many games were left unplayed.
While France’s national team won the World Cup for the second time in 2018, most of its leading players aspire to play abroad and the ongoing debate raises the uncomfortable question about whether its domestic league actually belongs in the same category as its rivals.

When it comes to talk of Europe’s ‘Big Five’ leagues, Ligue 1 is firmly in fifth place in terms of revenue.
The need to protect a more lucrative new TV deal set to kick in next season — by not allowing this season to drag on potentially into late August — has been cited as one argument in favour of the decision to stop.
PSG and Lyon are the only French clubs in the top 30 of Deloitte’s latest Football Money League.
There has only been one French winner — Marseille in 1993 — in the 65-year history of the European Cup. That is as many as Romania, Scotland and the former Yugoslavia, and Aston Villa.
While other countries that have been hit harder by the pandemic find ways to restart the football season by promoting arguments about the game’s economic and cultural significance, in France there is a feeling that it just doesn’t matter enough.
“Other countries have had interministerial meetings with important representatives from professional clubs, and they are restarting,” one Ligue 1 executive said.
“In France there have been none of those meetings. From afar, you could conclude that the state is not really interested in football.”
Reporting and photos: AFP
Action
Michael Owen returns to Avani+ Fares Maldives for October football camp
Avani+ Fares Maldives Resort has announced the return of former England striker and Ballon d’Or winner Michael Owen for a third Kids’ Football Camp, scheduled from 14 to 17 October 2026.
The four-day programme will be open to children aged five to 13 of all skill levels, with sessions combining football coaching, skills drills and games alongside beach activities and island experiences. The camp will conclude with a Grand Finale on 17 October, when participating children will receive medals and certificates.

Participation in the camp will be complimentary for guests staying at Avani+ Fares Maldives during the event period.
The October programme will mark Owen’s third football camp at the Baa Atoll resort and his second visit to the property this year, following an Easter edition held in late March and early April. The resort first introduced the programme in October 2025.
The inaugural camp ran from 20 to 23 October 2025, followed by a Grand Finale on 24 October. Owen led coaching sessions on the resort’s football pitch, with the programme designed to give young guests opportunities to learn from the former England international while focusing on football skills, teamwork and participation. The first edition was complimentary for eligible children staying at the resort.
Following the response to the first camp, Avani+ Fares brought Owen back for its Easter programme in 2026. More than 30 children and teenagers participated in the second edition, taking part in daily sessions led by Owen and assistant coaches. Training covered areas including dribbling, passing, positioning and teamwork, with sessions adapted for different ages and ability levels.

The second camp also formed part of a wider programme for families, incorporating activities for children and teenagers beyond the football pitch. Participants concluded the programme with certificates and medals, while opportunities were also provided for meet-and-greet sessions, autograph signings and photographs with Owen.
Owen won the Ballon d’Or in 2001 and represented England during an international career that included appearances at three FIFA World Cups. At club level, he played for Liverpool, Real Madrid, Newcastle United, Manchester United and Stoke City. His involvement in the Avani+ Fares programme has been centred on introducing younger players to football through training and activities within a resort holiday setting.
The third edition will retain the programme’s focus on children aged five to 13, combining coaching with recreational activities during the October school holiday period. According to the resort’s announcement, the camp will include expert coaching, drills for different skill levels, beach games and island adventures before the final session and awards ceremony on 17 October.

Avani+ Fares Maldives Resort is located on Fares Island in Baa Atoll, within the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve and close to Hanifaru Bay. The property offers 176 rooms, pavilions, beach and overwater villas and residences, together with seven dining and bar venues. Its family facilities include AvaniKids, a Teens Club and Petit Bistro, a restaurant dedicated to younger guests.
The resort also provides access to snorkelling and diving on its house reef, alongside water sports, tennis, fitness and spa facilities. Avani+ Fares was named Best Beach Resort at the Travel Trade Maldives Awards 2025, following its Best Dive Resort recognition in 2024.
The return of Owen for a third camp continues Avani+ Fares Maldives’ use of sports-led programmes as part of its family offering, bringing the former England striker back to Fares Island less than seven months after his previous camp.
Action
World record freediver Hanli Prinsloo to lead retreats at two Maldives resorts
Following the success of her 2025 freediving retreat at Avani+ Fares Maldives Resort, eleven-time freediving world-record holder and ocean conservationist Hanli Prinsloo will return to Baa Atoll this September with an expanded programme across two Minor Hotels resorts.
Hanli will begin with a Family Freediving Retreat at Avani+ Fares Maldives from 7 to 10 September before continuing to NH Collection Maldives Reethi for Into the Blue, a four-night retreat running from 14 to 18 September. Together, the two experiences offer different ways to explore the Baa Atoll UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, from a playful introduction for families to a more immersive programme for beginners and experienced freedivers aged 16 and above.

At Avani+ Fares, Hanli will introduce parents and children to freediving through breathwork, floating, snorkelling, gentle duck dives and underwater games. The focus is not on depth or competition, but on helping families build confidence in the water, understand their breathing and experience the ocean together at a comfortable pace.
The Family Freediving Retreat will open the resort’s annual Ocean Aware Month, a September programme dedicated to marine discovery and conservation. Activities will include coral conservation and planting workshops, underwater photography and videography sessions, beach clean-ups and PADI speciality courses.

On 17 September, Avani+ Fares will celebrate World Manta Day with marine-inspired art workshops for all ages and snorkelling excursions to Hanifaru Bay, known for its seasonal gatherings of manta rays.
“Baa Atoll keeps calling us back,” said Hanli Prinsloo. “Following last year’s retreat at Avani+ Fares, I am excited to return with a full family programme and to continue the journey at NH Collection Maldives Reethi. At Avani+ Fares, we will make freediving playful and approachable for parents and children. At Reethi, guests will have more time to develop their skills through breathwork, training and exploration. Both retreats are about building confidence in the ocean and understanding why this remarkable environment deserves our care.”

In addition, Hanli will host the four-night Into the Blue retreat at NH Collection Maldives Reethi. Open to guests aged 16 and above who are comfortable swimming, the programme combines yoga, meditation and guided breathing with house reef snorkelling, rope freediving and drift dives. Beginners and experienced freedivers can train together while progressing at their own pace.
The retreat will also include an excursion to Hanifaru Bay, approximately 15 minutes from the resort. At Reethi, guests can continue exploring from the island’s house reef, which supports marine life including angelfish, clownfish, reef sharks and sea turtles.

The three-night Family Freediving Retreat at Avani+ Fares Maldives starts from USD 3,160 per person, based on single occupancy. The package includes accommodation, full board, return seaplane transfers and all retreat sessions. Ocean Aware Month activities are complimentary for resort guests, subject to availability.
The four-night Into the Blue retreat at NH Collection Maldives Reethi starts from USD 4,333 net per adult, inclusive of accommodation on full board, return seaplane transfers and the full retreat programme.
For details and reservations, visit world.nh-hotels.com/en/nh-collection-maldives-reethi, email reservations.nree@nhcollection.com or call +960 660 2626.
Action
Tennis stars Elena Rybakina and Ana Ivanović set for JOALI Maldives residencies
JOALI Maldives has announced two exclusive tennis residencies with Grand Slam champions Elena Rybakina and Ana Ivanović, bringing world-class tennis to the island across November and the festive season.
Designed for both adults and younger players, the residencies offer guests the rare opportunity to step onto the court with two of the sport’s most accomplished athletes through intimate clinics and camps that combine technique, confidence, discipline and the joy of the game.
Set within JOALI Maldives’ philosophy of Creative Living, the programme brings a dynamic sporting dimension to island life, creating meaningful opportunities for guests to learn directly from champions while enjoying a highly personalised experience in the Maldives.

Game. Set. Inspire. with Elena Rybakina | 17–23 November 2026
Wimbledon Champion and Australian Open Champion 2026 Elena Rybakina invites guests to experience the game through the eyes of a Grand Slam champion.
Known for her powerful serve, precision and calm determination, Elena made history as Kazakhstan’s first Grand Slam singles champion when she claimed the Wimbledon title in 2022, before adding the 2026 Australian Open title to her achievements. She also reached a career-high ranking of World No. 2 in women’s singles.
Through two exclusive workshops for adults and younger players, guests will have the rare opportunity to train alongside one of the world’s leading athletes while discovering the discipline, focus and joy behind championship-level tennis.
Play Like a Champion with Ana Ivanović | 22–27 December 2026
Former World No. 1 Ana Ivanović brings her passion for tennis and Grand Slam-winning legacy to JOALI Maldives for an exclusive festive-season residency. Celebrated for her powerful forehand, competitive spirit and elegant style of play, Ana captured the 2008 French Open title before becoming World No. 1 in women’s singles and earning global acclaim as a modern tennis icon.
Guests will be invited to share the court with Ana across two exclusive workshops. The 60-minute Tennis Clinic for adults, ages 16 and above, focuses on the techniques, strategy and discipline that shaped her career. The 60-minute Tennis Camp for children ages 4 to 15 offers a lively introduction to tennis, helping young players develop skills, build confidence and find their rhythm on court.
From November through the festive season, the two residencies bring together championship-level sport and JOALI Maldives’ distinctive approach to meaningful guest experiences. With programming created for adults and families alike, guests can discover tennis in an intimate island setting while learning directly from two Grand Slam champions.
-
News1 week agoFrom Galaxy of Dreams to Beneath the Blue: Cinnamon Resorts reveal festive programmes
-
News1 week agoTHE OZEN COLLECTION brings festive magic to the Maldives this holiday season
-
Action1 week agoGrand Park Kodhipparu introduces experience-led stay built around its house reef
-
News1 week agoMandara Spa introduces new ELEMIS treatments and LED facial technology
-
Awards1 week agoSoneva Fushi, Jani and Secret earn place on Forbes Travel Guide Edge List 2026
-
News1 week agoCentara unveils KSA National Day holiday offers across Maldives resorts
-
News1 week agoAnantara Kihavah celebrates 25 years of Anantara with Maldives stargazing experience
-
News6 days agoPixie Lott to headline InterContinental Maldives’ New Year celebrations


