Featured
Maldives okays 27 new foreign investments in tourism
Maldives has approved 27 new foreign investments in tourism in the past eight months, President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih announced Monday.
Speaking at a function held Monday evening to unveil the framework of a new tourism master plan, President Solih said 28 separate investors have expressed interest in undertaking projects in the Maldives. Twenty-seven of these have already been approved by the government, he added.
“… investors are now anticipating a period of political stability for the future in which the Maldives will honour our contractual obligations,” the president said.
Remarking on the importance of working alongside the private sector, the president highlighted the need to reduce several of the logistical impediments to businesses interested in working in the tourism sector, to further progress the industry. He reiterated that his administration is committed to working hand in hand with private industries to address such obstacles and enhance the ease of doing business within the tourism industry.
President Solih also expressed his satisfaction at the pace of progress of this important industry, which is the mainstay of the Maldivian economy. He referenced statistics indicating that tourist arrivals have increased by 18.7 per cent in the past six months alone.
The president’s comments come weeks after real estate consultancy firm JLL projected that the Maldives’ hospitality industry was on course to see its most active year with more than USD 450 million worth of resort transactions either completed or under offer.
Official figures show that 144 resorts, 12 hotels, 508 guesthouses and 148 liveaboard vessels are currently registered in the Maldives. The number of registered travel agencies and dive schools stand at 308 and 272 respectively.
Government had earlier said that a total of 132 tourism projects involving 140 islands are underway across the Maldives.
The new government had also ramped up tourism promotion with new initiatives and more funding.
Authorities have come under fire from private organisations representing industry stakeholders such as the Maldives Association of Travel Agents and Tour Operators (MATATO) over the lack of effort and budget to promote the Maldives as a destination.
These concerns come as the world-famous holiday destination struggles to match demand with a rapid increase in bed capacity.
Over the past few years, dozens of uninhabited islands have been leased to local and foreign resort developers. Several international brands have entered into the market, increasing the number of resorts in operation to more than 130. That number is set to increase as another 20 resorts are expected to open over the next two years.
Singapore’s Park Hotel Group has opened its first resort in the Maldives, while major international hotel chains such as AccorHotels have entered the Maldives with four openings, including Mercure Maldives Kooddoo Resort, Fairmont Maldives Sirru Fen Fushi, Mӧvenpick Resort Kuredhivaru Maldives and Raffles Maldives Meradhoo as well as two in the pipeline. Brands like Hard Rock International, Capella Hotel Group, Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, Emaar Hospitality Group, Baglioni Hotels, Emerald Collection and Meliá Hotels International have announced their entry to the Maldives as well.
Existing international players are also upping their presence, with Marriott International launching Westin and JW Marriott in Maldives, Hilton Worldwide re-introducing its top-end luxury brand Waldorf Astoria, Aitken Spence introducing its Heritance brand, Minor Hotel Group introducing its AVANI brand, Onyx Hospitality Group introducing its OZO brand with its second property in the island nation, and LUX* Hotels & Resorts opening its second resort in the Maldives. Centara Hotels and Resorts has also signed a management agreement for its third resort in the tropical destination, while The Residence by Cenizaro has announced the launch of its second Maldivian property.
Leading local hotel groups, including Atmosphere Hotels and Resorts, Sun Siyam Resorts, and Crown and Champa Resorts, are also on an expansion drive.
Meanwhile, the first integrated tourism developments in the Maldives — Emboodhoo Lagoon project and Rah Falhu Huraa lagoon project — are underway.
Along with the new resort openings come the challenge of increasing demand from budget travellers who choose guesthouses over luxury resorts that the Maldives is known for. The guesthouse sector has rapidly expanded with over 400 guesthouses in operation today.
Maldives welcomed a record 1.4 million tourists in 2018 — a 6.8 per cent increase from the 1,389,542 tourists that chose to holiday in the Maldives in 2017. Other factors such as average duration of stay, bed nights and occupancy also posted positive growth in 2018.
Featured
City Iftar experience curated at JEN Maldives by Shangri-La
JEN Maldives by Shangri-La is welcoming the holy month of Ramadan with a series of Iftar evenings at Lime Restaurant, inviting guests to gather in the spirit of reflection, gratitude and togetherness.
Recognising Ramadan as a time that brings families, friends and communities closer, the hotel has curated an Iftar experience designed to go beyond dining. The focus is on creating a welcoming environment where traditions are observed, conversations unfold naturally and shared moments are celebrated around the table.
Located in the heart of Malé, Lime Restaurant provides a warm and contemporary setting suited to a range of gatherings, from colleagues reconnecting after work to families and friends breaking fast together. Each evening reflects the generosity associated with Ramadan, featuring carefully prepared dishes, live cooking stations and a selection of sweet treats that balance traditional flavours with creative touches.
Iftar at JEN Maldives by Shangri-La is shaped by attentive service and thoughtful hospitality. Guests are welcomed into an atmosphere that blends comfort with understated elegance, allowing space for reflection while enjoying a relaxed dining experience. The hotel’s culinary and service teams work closely to ensure consistency, quality and authenticity throughout the season.
Whether for intimate gatherings or larger group celebrations, the venue offers flexibility supported by a culinary programme rooted in care and attention to detail. The Ramadan offering is designed to ensure guests feel at ease while enjoying a distinctive Iftar experience in the capital.
Throughout the holy month, JEN Maldives by Shangri-La invites guests to come together at Lime Restaurant to experience evenings defined by flavour, generosity and meaningful connection, in keeping with the true spirit of Ramadan.
Drink
Provence comes to Maldives with Château Minuty dinner at Milaidhoo Maldives
Milaidhoo Maldives is hosting a wine pairing dinner celebrating Provençal elegance and gastronomy on 4 March 2026 at the resort’s Shoreline Grill. The evening will feature wines from Château Minuty and will be hosted by Sébastien Nore, Global Strategy and Export Director of Château Minuty, offering guests insight into the winery’s heritage and approach to fine winemaking.
Originally from Limousin, France, Nore brings extensive experience in the international beverage industry. His career includes roles with Kronenbourg Wineries and PepsiCo France, followed by senior leadership positions at Diageo and Baron Philippe de Rothschild. He has played a key role in expanding Château Minuty’s global presence and currently oversees the winery’s strategy, sales, communication and marketing, with a focus on innovation and the refined character of Provençal rosé.
During the dinner, guests will enjoy a curated selection of Château Minuty wines, paired with a bespoke menu created by the Shoreline Grill culinary team. The featured wines include:
- Château Minuty M de Minuty Rosé Magnum 1.5L – Artist Edition 2024
- Château Minuty Prestige Rosé 2024
- Château Minuty Rosé et Or 2024
- Château Minuty 281 2024
Beyond this event, the dinner reflects Milaidhoo Maldives’ wider commitment to gastronomy. The resort’s Gourmet Plan is designed for guests with a strong interest in food and wine, offering personalised, multi-course dining experiences throughout their stay. Each menu is crafted to highlight the relationship between carefully selected ingredients and complementary wines, with an emphasis on authenticity and balance.
The Château Minuty dinner marks the fourth wine-focused event hosted by Milaidhoo Maldives this year, underscoring the resort’s ongoing focus on curated culinary experiences. The evening is positioned as a sensory journey, combining refined flavours, thoughtful pairings and a convivial island setting.
Awards
Constance Halaveli and Constance Moofushi earn top scores in 2026 Booking.com awards
Constance Hospitality has been recognised in the 2026 Traveller Review Awards by Booking.com, with its Maldivian resorts achieving some of the highest scores within the group’s portfolio.
In the Maldives, Constance Halaveli Maldives received an outstanding score of 9.8 out of 10, while Constance Moofushi Maldives achieved 9.7. The ratings, based on verified guest reviews, reflect consistently high levels of guest satisfaction and service delivery.
Constance Halaveli Maldives, known for its spacious overwater and beachfront villas, personalised service and refined dining concepts, continues to perform strongly among travellers. Constance Moofushi Maldives, positioned as a barefoot chic resort with an all-inclusive concept, also maintains a high guest approval rating, supported by its diving experiences and relaxed island atmosphere.
While the wider Constance portfolio across the Indian Ocean was recognised, the Maldives properties stand out as the group’s highest-rated resorts in the 2026 awards cycle.
Commenting on the recognition, Jean-Jacques Vallet, Chief Executive Officer of Constance Hospitality, stated that the awards reflect the professionalism and commitment of the teams on the ground. He added that guest feedback remains central to maintaining service standards and delivering consistent experiences across the group’s destinations.
The recognition reinforces the position of Constance Halaveli Maldives and Constance Moofushi Maldives as leading performers within the Maldives’ competitive luxury hospitality sector.
-
News1 week agoJW Marriott Maldives Resort & Spa invites families to celebrate Eid Al-Fitr in island luxury
-
Action1 week agoInterContinental Maldives Maamunagau Resort launches ‘Swim with Nurse Sharks’ experience
-
Featured1 week agoYear of the Horse celebrations across Sun Siyam’s Luxury, Privé and Lifestyle resorts
-
Love1 week agoAzur rooftop at JEN Maldives sets stage for Valentine’s Day dining
-
Awards1 week agoVilla Park secures second straight HolidayCheck Award
-
Featured1 week agoCentara Hotels & Resorts marks Valentine’s Day with island-wide celebrations in Maldives
-
Cooking1 week agoBaros Maldives’ The Lighthouse to present Duval-Leroy champagne pairing experience
-
Action1 week agoLUX Tennis joins St. Regis Maldives Vommuli to expand active lifestyle programme


