News
Delhi coronavirus fears mount as hospital beds run out
Ashwani Jain succumbed to the coronavirus in an ambulance as his family pleaded with several hospitals to take him in, the latest victim of the pandemic sweeping through the Indian capital and exposing a deadly shortage of hospital beds.
“They don’t care whether we live or die,” said his 20-year-old daughter Kashish, whose uncle, Abhishek, sat with Ashwani in the back of the vehicle on its desperate journey across Delhi.
“It won’t matter to them but I have lost my father, he was the world to me,” she said, tears welling up as she showed a photo of him.
All of the hospitals the 45-year-old businessman’s family tried refused to admit Ashwani, even though an app set up by the city government indicated Covid-19 beds were free, Abhishek told AFP.
With surging infections highlighting the precarious state of the Indian healthcare system, the death of Jain and others like him have heightened anxiety in Delhi over the growing threat.

More than 1,200 have died from the virus in the Indian capital and more than 1,000 new cases are being reported each day.
Mortuaries are overflowing with bodies and cemeteries and crematorium staff say they cannot keep up with the backlog of victims. Some local Delhi councils say the real death toll is twice the number given by the regional government.
Indian media has been full of tragic stories of people dying after being turned away by hospitals.
One pregnant woman died as she was being shuttled between hospitals. A 78-year-old man petitioned the Delhi High Court for a ventilator bed but died before the matter could be taken up.
India has now recorded more than 300,000 coronavirus cases with nearly 9,000 fatalities.
High price for rare beds
Several families have used social media to recount their harrowing experiences after being refused hospital beds.
Jain’s family had joined a noisy, nationwide tribute to health workers, banging pots and pans from rooftops and balconies after a nationwide lockdown started in March. Now they feel abandoned.
“The government is doing nothing. They are just playing with our feelings,” Kashish said.

Jain’s devastated relatives are now waiting to get tested themselves but the Delhi government allows that for only high-risk and symptomatic family members.
The city government has estimated that it could need 80,000 beds by the end of July, and warned hotels and wedding venues that they are likely to be turned into hospitals.
Currently government hospitals have 8,505 designated pandemic beds while private hospitals have 1,441.
But families say they are being forced to spend a small fortune for the few beds that are available.
Suman Gulati, whose father is a coronavirus patient, said she was asked for one million rupees ($13,200) by a private hospital for a bed.
“Once I paid the money getting a bed was not a problem. But arranging such a huge amount of money at such a critical time was,” she told AFP.
“What if I fall sick next, what will I do? Should I sell my property, my jewellery?”
A sting operation by the Mirror Now TV channel showed five Delhi hospitals asking coronavirus patients to pay up to $5,250 in order to be admitted.

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has accused private hospitals of lying about available beds and promised tough action if they were found extorting money.
On Sunday, Home Minister Amit Shah said 500 of some 20,000 train coaches reserved as coronavirus wards would be “immediately” allocated to the state by the national government, adding some 8,000 beds.
Experts are questioning the city’s handling of the pandemic however.
Virologist Shahid Jameel said Delhi, like other major cities, has not tested enough people. So far, it has covered just one percent of its population.
“At the moment Delhi government is doing everything to make people panic,” he told AFP.
“It should be testing aggressively. I don’t understand the logic of testing only people who are symptomatic. How will you find how much the infection has spread in the community if you don’t test them?”
Shah said after a meeting with the Delhi government Sunday that testing for the virus would be stepped up.
Reporting and photos: AFP
Cooking
Michelin-starred French chef Maye Cissoko brings ‘Art of the Chef’ to Sun Siyam Iru Fushi
Sun Siyam Iru Fushi, the flagship resort within Sun Siyam’s Luxury Collection portfolio in the Maldives, has announced an exclusive culinary collaboration with acclaimed Michelin Star French Chef Maye Cissoko this July. In celebration of Bastille Day, the resort will host two exceptional dining experiences under the theme “Art of the Chef”, taking place on 22 and 27 July, where refined gastronomy, fine wine, and refined living come together.
Chef Maye is the chef and owner of the historic 105-year-old Maison Burnel in the Vosges region of France, which he beautifully renovated and earn a Michelin star just six months later. The chef, an alumnus of the prestigious Institut Paul Bocuse, brings experience to the island including his time with the renowned Barrière Group. The chef loves seasonality, fresh sourcing, and à la minute cooking. His menus heavily feature territorial, rustic elements from the Vosges like wild mushrooms, and local herbs paired with highly refined execution.
Working in harmony with the resort’s Executive Chef, Putu Wijana, he will present two distinguished evenings of fine wine pairings, featuring one of his favourite ingredients, fresh scallops.
- Art of the Chef, Cellar Dinner | Wednesday, 22 July | Cellar Dining at Flavours: An intimate, refined evening of gastronomy at the resort’s newly renovated French restaurant. The menu features Scallop Carpaccio with leek essence and pike roe, Spider Crab with smoked haddock espuma, local reef fish enhanced with caviar and katsuobushi sauce, and a delicate French strawberry tartlet.
- Art of the Chef, Sublime Festin | Monday, 27 July | Elevated Beachside Dining at Islander’s Grill: A sophisticated beachfront experience showcasing scallops in a green herb and truffle crust, Maldivian sea bass gravlax, local lobster with vegetable ravioli and artichoke purée served with a slow-simmered seafood bisque, and a decadent Guanaja chocolate entremet with mango-lime chutney.
The resident sommelier, Sunil Kumar, will feature exceptional wines from diverse regions of France, thoughtfully selected to pair with each dish.

This prestigious collaboration highlights Sun Siyam Iru Fushi’s commitment to elevating the culinary experiences across its 15 restaurants and bars. Chef Maye will work alongside the resort’s Executive Chef, Putu Wijana, who brings 26 years of global luxury brand experience to lead the resort’s continued culinary evolution.
“Partnering with Chef Maye Cissoko allows us to weave the timeless precision of French gastronomy into our kitchens. These exclusive menus have been meticulously curated to reflect our deep commitment to offering a refined guest experience. Following the residency, selected signature dishes will also be integrated into our menus, giving future guests the opportunity to savour these exceptional creations,” highlighted Executive Chef Putu Wijana.
Awards
Sun Siyam Iru Veli recognised with 10 honours at Life Saving Leadership Awards
Sun Siyam Iru Veli, part the Privé Collection of House of Sun Siyam, has been recognised with 10 notable awards at the 3rd Life Saving Leadership Awards Ceremony held by the Maldives Swimming and Life Saving Skills Training School on 17 May 2026.
These accolades strengthens the resort’s position as one of the leading benchmarks for water safety and lifeguarding excellence in the Maldives. They are also a reflection of the continued investment in aquatic safety, emergency preparedness, and professionally trained lifeguarding operations and Sun Siyam Iru Veli’s commitment to creating a safe island experience for every guest.
Among the accolades received was the Maldives Water Safety Excellence Award 2025, the highest recognition presented during the ceremony. Additional honours included The Pinnacle Resort Award, Best Lifeguard Service Operation, Sustainability in Lifeguard Operation Award, and Water Safety Education and Advocacy Award. Together, these accolades reflect the resort’s continued efforts to integrate internationally aligned safety practices into the guest experience while maintaining the warm and intuitive spirit of Maldivian hospitality.
Alongside the organisational awards, five team members from Sun Siyam Iru Veli were also individually recognised for their contributions and leadership in the field of water safety and lifesaving training. General Manager Masdhooq Saeed received the General Manager of the Year Award, while Mohamed Athif Ibrahim was honoured for Water Safety & Life Saving Training Leadership. Additional recognitions included the Supervisor Excellence Award presented to Ahmed Shifau, the Trident Excellence Award awarded to Ahmed Jamsheed, and the Rising Star in Lifeguarding Award presented to Hassan Yousuf Adam Abbas.

Since launching its dedicated lifeguarding operation in 2023, Sun Siyam Iru Veli has continued to invest in training, prevention strategies, emergency preparedness, and water safety awareness. The resort’s approach combines proactive guest education and observation with structured emergency response systems, ensuring a safe and seamless experience across the island’s ocean and pool environments.
“Water safety is incredibly important for resorts across the Maldives, where the ocean is such a central part of everyday life and the guest experience,” remarked Mohamed Najah, Resort Manager of Sun Siyam Iru Veli, during the award ceremony. “As an industry, the way we approach safety and precautions must continue to evolve. Moving beyond simply warning guests to be cautious, it is our responsibility to ensure our teams are properly trained, prepared, and confident in responding when needed. It is an honour to see these efforts recognised, but this is only the beginning. Our focus now is on continuing to strengthen training across our frontline teams and further raising the standard of water safety within our industry.
Drink
Asia’s top mixology talent to lead cocktail takeover at JW Marriott Maldives Kaafu Atoll
JW Marriott Maldives Kaafu Atoll Island Resort invites guests to discover an immersive three-night cocktail journey this June, featuring acclaimed mixologist Navjot Singh. Taking place across the resort’s distinctive venues from June 17 to 19, 2026, the exclusive bar takeover will present a curated series of innovative tropical cocktail experiences inspired by island living, craftsmanship, and storytelling.
Led by Navjot Singh, Beverage Program Leader at Lair Bar, the experience brings one of Asia’s most celebrated contemporary cocktail programs to the Maldives. Recognised as No. 8 on Asia’s 50 Best Bars 2025, Lair Bar is renowned for its innovative approach to mixology, blending luxury spirits, creativity, and immersive storytelling. Navjot himself was recently crowned World Class India 2025, cementing his reputation as one of the industry’s leading talents.
Joining him is Nakul Dev, Senior Bartender at LAIR BAR, whose creative approach is deeply inspired by the flavours and ingredients of Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh. With over six years of experience in hospitality and cocktails, Nakul is known for crafting ingredient-driven drinks that reflect the essence of the mountains and local produce from his hometown. His passion for flavour development and exploration of new techniques brings an additional layer of creativity and depth to the collaboration.

Set against the backdrop of the Indian Ocean, the takeover will unfold across three distinct venues, each offering its own atmosphere and cocktail narrative. At Nikkei Bar, guests will enjoy an exclusive sunset activation where thoughtfully crafted cocktails elevate golden-hour moments with refined tropical flavours and interactive guest experiences. Wahoo Bar will host an elegant beachfront evening inspired by the serenity of the coast, pairing curated tropical cocktails with breathtaking sunset views and laid-back sophistication. The final experience will take place at JW Garden, where a “Garden to Glass” concept celebrates locally grown ingredients such as basil, lemongrass, and pandan, highlighting sustainability and creating an immersive journey.
“We are thrilled to welcome Navjot Singh to JW Marriott Maldives Kaafu Atoll Island Resort for this exclusive guest bartender series,” said Srikanth Devarapalli, General Manager. “His expertise, creativity, and dedication to craft reflect our commitment to offering guests immersive moments that are aligned with our philosophy of contemporary luxury.”
Each cocktail hour has been carefully designed to reflect the spirit of the island through a contemporary lens, blending tropical influences with modern techniques and storytelling. Through this collaboration, JW Marriott Maldives Kaafu Atoll Island Resort continues to elevate its culinary and beverage programming, offering guests meaningful and memorable experiences rooted in connection, discovery, and craftsmanship.
Learn more about JW Marriott Maldives Kaafu Atoll Island Resort here.
-
Action1 week agoNight snorkelling reveals hidden underwater world at Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon
-
Culture1 week agoFamily adventures and romantic escapes await this Eid at Kandooma Maldives
-
News1 week agoMilaidhoo Maldives embraces mindfulness, movement and nourishment for Global Wellness Day
-
News1 week agoMandara Spa and Chavana Spa unveil family-focused wellness concept
-
Culture1 week agoCoco Bodu Hithi and Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu unveil Eid holiday offers
-
Culture7 days agoEid Al-Adha celebrations come alive at The Standard, Maldives
-
Awards1 week agoSun Siyam Iru Fushi earns nomination in Condé Nast Traveller 2026 awards
-
Culture1 week agoMusic, culture and island entertainment headline Eid at Hard Rock Hotel Maldives


