Connect with us

Action

Five things from the Bundesliga

Published

on

Bayern Munich rumbled towards an eighth straight Bundesliga title on Saturday after their comfortable win at Bayer Leverkusen, while players throughout the league renewed support for the Black Lives Matters protests sparked by the death of George Floyd.

AFP Sport looks at five key things from Saturday’s action:

Bayern unstoppable?

You have to go back to before Christmas to find a match which Bayern lost, and their stroll at Leverkusen took Hansi Flick’s side to 11 straight wins in all competitions and kept them seven points clear with just four matches remaining.

A goal down after 10 minutes against a team that beat them at the Allianz Arena in November, Bayern responded with two quick goals just before half-time to establish a stranglehold on the match after Kingsley Coman’s equaliser.

From that point Bayern were calm and composed as they saw out a ninth league win in a row that allows to put one hand on the Bundesliga trophy.

However bookings for both Thomas Mueller and Robert Lewandowski — who scored his 30th league goal of the season — mean that they will miss next week’s clash with Champions League-chasing Borussia Moenchengladbach, where a win will as good as seal the title.

Floyd tributes continue

Pierre Kunde Malong is one of many Bundesliga players to take a knee in support of the Black Lives Matter protests. PHOTO: POOL/AFP / Alexander HASSENSTEIN

Borussia Dortmund and Hertha Berlin players were the latest to show their support for demonstrations across the USA and George Floyd, a black American who died in Minneapolis last month while being arrested by police officers, by taking a collective knee around the Signal Iduna Park centre circle before their match.

They had been preceded by Mainz’s Cameroonian midfielder Pierre Kunde Malong, who sunk to one knee after scoring in Mainz’s 2-0 win at Eintracht Frankfurt, emulating similar gestures from last weekend.

Both Dortmund and Bayern Munich wore T-shirts showing solidarity with the protests, with Bayern players warming up in tops bearing both the Black Lives Matter hashtag and the slogan of the club’s official “Reds Against Racism” campaign.

Werner shows his worth

Timo Werner is reportedly set to move to Chelsea next season. PHOTO: POOL/AFP / HANNIBAL HANSCHKE

Timo Werner showed why Chelsea are reportedly set to spend 50 million euros (£44.5 million) on bringing him to the Premier League, setting up Patrik Schick to take the lead and playing with the verve that has attracted the attention of Europe’s biggest clubs.

The Germany forward has scored 31 times in all competitions for Leipzig this season and prestigious magazine Kicker reports that Chelsea will pay less than the Werner’s 55 million-euro release clause to bring the 24-year-old to the Premier League.

Leipzig sporting director Oliver Mintzlaff said that no deal had yet been done for Werner, although he made it clear that Werner would be leaving come the end of the season.

“We are sure that we will find a solution with his new club which allows us to end the Bundesliga season with Timo,” said Mintzlaff.

‘Huge talent’ Wirtz breaks through

Florian Wirtz is the latest young gun to appear at Bayer Leverkusen after Kai Havertz. PHOTO: POOL/AFP / Stuart FRANKLIN

A new young star made the headlines for Leverkusen in the absence of Kai Havertz, with Florian Wirtz becoming the youngest goalscorer in Bundesliga history.

Wirtz, who only made his top-flight debut last month, supplanted former Dortmund midfielder Nuri Sahin when he bagged Leverkusen’s consolation goal in the final seconds at 17 years and 34 days old.

“We already knew he was a huge talent, that’s why he has played before,” said Leverkusen coach Peter Bosz.

Emre cans Sancho after rallying Dortmund

Jadon Sancho has been heavily criticised for having a haircut without any protective equipment. PHOTO: POOL/AFP / Lars BARON

Emre Can kept Borussia Dortmund’s faint hopes of winning the title alive with the only goal in a 1-0 win over dogged Hertha Berlin, and quickly tore a strip off young gun Jadon Sancho following the England winger’s haircut controversy.

Can, who struck in the 58th minute to keep Dortmund seven points behind Bayern with four games to play, said Sancho needed to be “more grown up” after being pictured having a haircut with neither the 20-year-old nor the hairdresser wearing any personal protective equipment.

“We need to guide Jadon a bit. He can’t afford to make mistakes like that in the future, and we can always talk to him about that as a team,” said Can.

Reporting and photos: AFP

Action

Bestbuy Maldives supports health, wellness as Main Sponsor of MNU Marathon 2026

Published

on

Bestbuy Maldives (BBM), one of the Maldives’ leading and most trusted distribution partners to the hospitality and retail sectors, served as the Main Sponsor of the MNU Marathon 2026, organised by Maldives National University (MNU) and held in Hulhumalé on 13 February. The event drew over 1,500 runners and focused on promoting fitness, health and wellness, active lifestyles, and community unity, as part of a long-term sponsorship arrangement.

As Main Sponsor, BBM maintained a strong on-ground presence throughout the marathon, with high brand visibility and activations designed to engage participants and spectators.

A key highlight was BBM’s collaboration with Unilever – Vaseline, with free product samples distributed to all marathon participants, reinforcing messages around skincare. Additional brand activations included a dedicated Cornitos stall offering free nacho samples, and a Godrej Aer booth focused on product sampling and brand awareness. BBM also distributed Cavin’s milkshake samples to runners at the finish line.

BBM’s participation extended beyond sponsorship, with more than 50 BBM employees taking part in the marathon as runners. Representatives from Unilever International also joined the run, underscoring a shared commitment to wellbeing and community engagement.

“Supporting the MNU Marathon aligns closely with BBM’s commitment to healthier communities and meaningful national partnerships,” said Ali Afrah Hassan, Head – Human Resources, Administration & Corporate Affairs at Bestbuy Maldives. “It was especially rewarding to see our colleagues participate as runners alongside the wider public, demonstrating that wellbeing is part of our culture, not just our sponsorship. We are proud to work with MNU to create a positive platform that brings people together around health, wellness and unity.”

Through its portfolio of internationally recognised FMCG and consumer lifestyle brands—spanning food and beverage, personal care, and home care—BBM continues to support initiatives that create shared value for communities, partners and customers across the Maldives. The company’s involvement in events such as the MNU Marathon reflects BBM’s broader commitment to championing positive lifestyles, strengthening local partnerships, and backing platforms that bring people together with purpose.

BBM noted that the event strengthened its partnership with Maldives National University and provided an opportunity to connect directly with the Maldivian community in an uplifting setting, reinforcing BBM’s role as a responsible corporate partner supporting national initiatives.

Continue Reading

Action

LUX Tennis joins St. Regis Maldives Vommuli to expand active lifestyle programme

Published

on

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort has announced a partnership with LUX Tennis, strengthening the resort’s established tennis offering and introducing plans for a new padel court. The collaboration expands the resort’s active lifestyle programme, with a particular focus on families and multi-generational travel.

The St. Regis brand draws on the legacy of the Astor family, founders of the original St. Regis New York, whose Gilded Age lifestyle celebrated refined leisure and sporting pursuits. Tennis, in particular, became a symbol of elegance within the Astor social circle, reflecting a culture shaped by hospitality, recreation and sophistication. This heritage continues across the St. Regis portfolio today, where classic sports remain an integral part of the brand’s identity.

Set within the resort’s private island environment, the enhanced LUX Tennis programme is designed to elevate on-island tennis experiences for guests of all ages and skill levels. The programme features expert-led coaching, bespoke clinics and visiting residencies by internationally recognised professionals, offering guests opportunities to train, play and engage with elite talent in an accessible and inspiring setting.

Confirmed visiting professionals include Angelique Kerber, three-time Grand Slam champion and former world number one, who will visit from 29 to 31 March 2026, and Feliciano López, former Spanish champion with a career-high singles ranking of world number 12, scheduled from 16 to 17 May 2026.

The expanded tennis programme is designed to integrate seamlessly with island life, offering everything from relaxed family matches and junior-friendly coaching to more focused sessions for experienced players. Activities are structured to complement time spent at the beach, spa experiences and family dining.

The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort features 77 beachfront and overwater villas, each with a private pool, alongside facilities such as the John Jacob Astor Estate, the largest overwater three-bedroom villa in the Maldives. Guests also have access to the award-winning Iridium Spa, six dining venues and a private yacht available for charter, reinforcing the resort’s positioning as a destination for both leisure and active pursuits.

Continue Reading

Action

InterContinental Maldives Maamunagau Resort launches ‘Swim with Nurse Sharks’ experience

Published

on

Nestled in the pristine waters of the Raa Atoll, InterContinental Maldives Maamunagau Resort introduces Swim with Nurse Sharks, a new guided marine experience offering guests a rare opportunity to encounter these gentle creatures in their natural lagoon habitat.

Located just minutes from the island, the calm, shallow waters provide ideal conditions for observing nurse sharks at rest and in motion. The one-hour experience operates three times a week by speedboat and is designed for small groups, making it suitable for families and confident swimmers seeking a meaningful connection with the ocean.

Guided with care and respect for the environment, the experience reflects the resort’s ongoing commitment to marine awareness and responsible interaction with wildlife. Guests gain insight into the behaviour of nurse sharks while exploring one of the region’s few accessible snorkelling sites dedicated to this species.

Available at USD 95++ per person, with special rates for children under 12, Swim with Nurse Sharks adds a distinctive new chapter to the resort’s immersive ocean experiences.

For more information on “Swim with Nurse Sharks” at InterContinental Maldives Maamunagau Resort, please visit the resort’s website.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright all rights reserved by Maldives Promotion House 2023.