Recipe from Constance Moofushi : Moussaka on the beach
Mediterranean food features highly on menus at Constance Moofushi. Moussaka is a potato based dish popular in Mediterranean with several variations.
- Minced meat – lamb, beef or a mixture of both
- Tablespoons butter
- Tinned tomatoes or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Grated cheese – cheddar, parmesan or kefalotiri
- Onion, chopped
- Parsley, finely chopped
- Oil for frying
- Salt, pepper
- French toast (friganies), or dried breadcrumbs
For the Bechamel Sauce
- Plain flour
- Milk, (warmed, but not boiling)
- Egg yolks
- Salt, pepper
- Grated cheese, cheddar, parmesan or kefalotiri
- Peel the potatoes, wash well and slice into 1/4 inch round slices.
- Fry the potatoes both sides.
- Remove from pan and place on absorbent paper to soak up any excess oil.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and sauté the chopped onion, fry the ground meat (lamb or beef) until browned.
- Add the finely chopped tomatoes (or paste), salt, pepper and parsley.
- Cover and simmer until most of the juices are dried up.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a greased baking tray, sprinkle the French toast on the bottom of the tray.
- Place half the potatoes in a layer on the bottom of the baking tray.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the grated cheese over the potatoes.
- Pour all the mince meat sauce over the potatoes and spread evenly.
- Finish with the rest of the potatoes in a layer over the meat sauce.
- Prepare the béchamel sauce and pour evenly over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the sauce and then about 2 tablespoons of the ground French toast or breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake in a medium oven (180C) for approximately 30-40 minutes, or until it reaches a nice golden colour.
- Remove from the oven and leave it to stand for 5-10 minutes to set before cutting into portions.
Serve with fresh crusty bread and a crisp green salad.