Connect with us

Action

What now for tennis in 2020?

Published

on

Professional tennis has been in cold storage since March due to the coronavirus pandemic with tournaments unlikely to resume before August.

AFP Sport looks at three talking points as the sport heads into June:

Fans in or out at US Open and Roland Garros?

In 2019, the US Open attracted a record crowd of almost 740,000 to its sprawling Billie Jean King Tennis Centre in New York.

The French Open last year at Roland Garros brought in 520,000 paying customers.

Let the fans in: Roger Federer not keen on behind closed doors events. PHOTO: AFP/File / RODGER BOSCH

However, the 2020 editions of the two remaining Grand Slam events on the calendar will look very different with the chance of them being played behind closed doors a real possibility to avoid the spread of the coronavirus.

Roger Federer, whose 20-Grand Slam title haul includes five titles at the US Open and one in Paris, is not keen on seeing rows and rows of empty seats.

“I can’t bear to see an empty stadium. I hope that won’t happen,” the Swiss star was quoted as saying by Brazilian media recently.

Two-time Wimbledon winner Petra Kvitova said she too has no desire to play a Slam with without spectators.

“I would like to play another Grand Slam, but if it’s like this, I’d rather cancel them,” Kvitova said.

“Playing without fans who are our engine doesn’t look nice to me and the Grand Slam doesn’t deserve it.”

As far as the rescheduled Roland Garros in September and October is concerned, Jean-Francois Vilotte, the director-general of the French Tennis Federation (FFT), told AFP: “The aim is that there will be spectators.”

“But we will have the capacity to organise Roland Garros whatever the option decided, including behind closed doors.”

Money matters?

There has been no prize money to play for over the best part of three months but that hasn’t stopped it being discussed.

Doubles trouble: Marion Bartoli. PHOTO: GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP/File / MICHAEL REGAN

The ATP and WTA tours, the International Tennis Federation and the four Grand Slam tournaments — the Australian Open, Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open backed a fund worth more than $6 million to support low-ranked players hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic.

World number one Novak Djokovic had already said that he, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal — the sport’s biggest earners with over $100 million each banked in prize money alone — were also willing to help.

However, world number three Dominic Thiem was not keen on giving money to lower-ranked players.

“Quite honestly I have to say that no tennis player will be fighting to survive, even those who are much lower-ranked,” said the Austrian.

Marion Bartoli, the 2013 Wimbledon champion, chimed in last week by suggesting a reduction in doubles events with prize money diverted to struggling players.

“You just don’t make the same effort (in doubles) as a singles player. You don’t practise so much, your routine is different.

“I don’t know if we have to stop doubles completely, but to get less money and give that money to qualification and others, that could be the solution.”

Are we making an exhibition of ourselves?

There is some tennis going on in the world at a series of tightly-controlled exhibition events.

Bound for Berlin: Nick Kyrgios. PHOTO: AFP/File / PEDRO PARDO

Germany kicked it off on May 1 with an eight-man exhibition in the tiny town of Hoehr-Grenzhausen, near Koblenz which featured Dustin Brown, who famously defeated Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon in 2015.

Strict rules over health and safety meant there were no fans, no ball boys or girls and no line judges. There was just a chair umpire.

Handshakes were banned, players handled their own towels and brought their own water and fruit to the clay courts.

Similar events followed in the US before Petra Kvitova won an all-Czech event in Prague last week.

“The gloves, face masks, the fact nobody handed us the towels, no handshakes, that was definitely bizarre,” said Kvitova.

Other exhibitions are scheduled including a World Team Tennis tournament in West Virginia in July featuring Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin and 2017 US Open winner Sloane Stephens.

Andy Murray will return from his latest injury problem on June 23 in a charity tournament in London.

Nick Kyrgios joins Dominic Thiem at a grasscourt event – likely the only one this summer – at Berlin’s Tempelhof Airport from July 17-19.

Reporting and photos: AFP

Action

World record freediver Hanli Prinsloo to lead retreats at two Maldives resorts

Published

on

Following the success of her 2025 freediving retreat at Avani+ Fares Maldives Resort, eleven-time freediving world-record holder and ocean conservationist Hanli Prinsloo will return to Baa Atoll this September with an expanded programme across two Minor Hotels resorts.

Hanli will begin with a Family Freediving Retreat at Avani+ Fares Maldives from 7 to 10 September before continuing to NH Collection Maldives Reethi for Into the Blue, a four-night retreat running from 14 to 18 September. Together, the two experiences offer different ways to explore the Baa Atoll UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, from a playful introduction for families to a more immersive programme for beginners and experienced freedivers aged 16 and above.

At Avani+ Fares, Hanli will introduce parents and children to freediving through breathwork, floating, snorkelling, gentle duck dives and underwater games. The focus is not on depth or competition, but on helping families build confidence in the water, understand their breathing and experience the ocean together at a comfortable pace.

The Family Freediving Retreat will open the resort’s annual Ocean Aware Month, a September programme dedicated to marine discovery and conservation. Activities will include coral conservation and planting workshops, underwater photography and videography sessions, beach clean-ups and PADI speciality courses.

On 17 September, Avani+ Fares will celebrate World Manta Day with marine-inspired art workshops for all ages and snorkelling excursions to Hanifaru Bay, known for its seasonal gatherings of manta rays.

“Baa Atoll keeps calling us back,” said Hanli Prinsloo. “Following last year’s retreat at Avani+ Fares, I am excited to return with a full family programme and to continue the journey at NH Collection Maldives Reethi. At Avani+ Fares, we will make freediving playful and approachable for parents and children. At Reethi, guests will have more time to develop their skills through breathwork, training and exploration. Both retreats are about building confidence in the ocean and understanding why this remarkable environment deserves our care.”

In addition, Hanli will host the four-night Into the Blue retreat at NH Collection Maldives Reethi. Open to guests aged 16 and above who are comfortable swimming, the programme combines yoga, meditation and guided breathing with house reef snorkelling, rope freediving and drift dives. Beginners and experienced freedivers can train together while progressing at their own pace.

The retreat will also include an excursion to Hanifaru Bay, approximately 15 minutes from the resort. At Reethi, guests can continue exploring from the island’s house reef, which supports marine life including angelfish, clownfish, reef sharks and sea turtles.

The three-night Family Freediving Retreat at Avani+ Fares Maldives starts from USD 3,160 per person, based on single occupancy. The package includes accommodation, full board, return seaplane transfers and all retreat sessions. Ocean Aware Month activities are complimentary for resort guests, subject to availability. 

The four-night Into the Blue retreat at NH Collection Maldives Reethi starts from USD 4,333 net per adult, inclusive of accommodation on full board, return seaplane transfers and the full retreat programme.

For details and reservations, visit world.nh-hotels.com/en/nh-collection-maldives-reethi, email reservations.nree@nhcollection.com or call +960 660 2626.

Continue Reading

Action

Tennis stars Elena Rybakina and Ana Ivanović set for JOALI Maldives residencies

Published

on

JOALI Maldives has announced two exclusive tennis residencies with Grand Slam champions Elena Rybakina and Ana Ivanović, bringing world-class tennis to the island across November and the festive season.

Designed for both adults and younger players, the residencies offer guests the rare opportunity to step onto the court with two of the sport’s most accomplished athletes through intimate clinics and camps that combine technique, confidence, discipline and the joy of the game.

Set within JOALI Maldives’ philosophy of Creative Living, the programme brings a dynamic sporting dimension to island life, creating meaningful opportunities for guests to learn directly from champions while enjoying a highly personalised experience in the Maldives.

Game. Set. Inspire. with Elena Rybakina | 17–23 November 2026

Wimbledon Champion and Australian Open Champion 2026 Elena Rybakina invites guests to experience the game through the eyes of a Grand Slam champion.

Known for her powerful serve, precision and calm determination, Elena made history as Kazakhstan’s first Grand Slam singles champion when she claimed the Wimbledon title in 2022, before adding the 2026 Australian Open title to her achievements. She also reached a career-high ranking of World No. 2 in women’s singles.

Through two exclusive workshops for adults and younger players, guests will have the rare opportunity to train alongside one of the world’s leading athletes while discovering the discipline, focus and joy behind championship-level tennis.

Play Like a Champion with Ana Ivanović | 22–27 December 2026

Former World No. 1 Ana Ivanović brings her passion for tennis and Grand Slam-winning legacy to JOALI Maldives for an exclusive festive-season residency. Celebrated for her powerful forehand, competitive spirit and elegant style of play, Ana captured the 2008 French Open title before becoming World No. 1 in women’s singles and earning global acclaim as a modern tennis icon.

Guests will be invited to share the court with Ana across two exclusive workshops. The 60-minute Tennis Clinic for adults, ages 16 and above, focuses on the techniques, strategy and discipline that shaped her career. The 60-minute Tennis Camp for children ages 4 to 15 offers a lively introduction to tennis, helping young players develop skills, build confidence and find their rhythm on court.

From November through the festive season, the two residencies bring together championship-level sport and JOALI Maldives’ distinctive approach to meaningful guest experiences. With programming created for adults and families alike, guests can discover tennis in an intimate island setting while learning directly from two Grand Slam champions.

Continue Reading

Action

Football legends Andy Cole and Stuart Pearce head back to Niva Kuramathi Maldives

Published

on

Back by popular demand, Niva Kuramathi Maldives has announced the return of Campioni Soccer Academy for 2027. Taking place over Easter 2027 and Summer 2027, the football academy for aspiring young players aged 4-16, is a celebration of sport, sunshine and island spirit.

Week One, Easter 2027: 29th March to 3rd April 2027 | Led by Andy Cole and UEFA ‘A’ Licensed coach Adrian Whitbread

Week Two, Summer 2027: 26th – 31st July 2027 | Led by Stuart Pearce MBE and UEFA ‘A’ Licensed coach Adrian Whitbread

Experience the ultimate family getaway with Campioni and Niva Kuramathi; set against the turquoise backdrop of the Indian Ocean, Campioni transforms Niva Kuramathi’s pristine football pitch into a training ground led by former Premier League players and UEFA coaches. It’s an opportunity of a lifetime to be coached for two-hours, daily, whilst on holiday, by legendary players who have played and managed teams at the highest level.

Welcoming one of England’s best known and most loved football icons Stuart Pearce MBE, and one of the Premier League’s all-time great strikers Andy Cole, each joined by UEFA ‘A’ licensed coach Adrian Whitbread, this year Campioni promises two unforgettable weeks of daily training sessions in paradise.

Andy Cole is best known for his hugely successful spell at Manchester United, where he won five Premier League titles, two FA Cups and the Champions League as part of the historic 1999 Treble-winning side. Cole brings world-class experience and inspiration to Campioni Soccer Academy; renowned for his sharp finishing, professionalism, and winning mentality. His involvement gives young players a unique chance to learn from a true legend and understand what it takes to succeed at the highest level.

One of England’s most respected football legends, Stuart Pearce plays an inspiring role at Campioni Soccer Academy, where he helps train and mentor young players. Known for his passion, leadership, and determination both on and off the pitch, Pearce brings a wealth of experience from his illustrious career, which includes captaining England and managing at the highest levels of the game. His involvement at Campioni provides aspiring footballers with a unique opportunity to learn from one of the sport’s greats, gaining valuable insights into teamwork, discipline, and what it truly takes to succeed in football.

The week-long Academy begins with an oceanfront welcome reception where families meet the legends, collect their bespoke training kits, and toast to the week ahead.

From Monday to Saturday, children take part in daily interactive training sessions under the expert guidance of the pros, focusing on technical skills, game awareness and overall development using the FA’s 4 Corner Model. Learning the importance of teamwork, strategy, and sportsmanship, this is a chance for boys and girls of all abilities to learn from the best in the game while creating unforgettable memories.

Parents can unwind across the resort knowing their children are safe, active, and inspired – or lace up their own boots for the Parents’ Game midweek – a crowd favourite that turns the pitch into a playground for all ages.

“I can’t wait to return to Niva Kuramathi for the Campioni Soccer Academy in Summer 2027. Last year’s academy was such a memorable experience, and I’m excited to meet another group of families and young players. What makes Campioni so special is seeing the confidence and potential that comes through in every session. It’s about more than football, it’s about encouraging young people to believe in themselves, aim high and enjoy the journey along the way,” said Stuart Pearce MBE.

“Campioni Soccer Academy is always an incredible experience, and I’m really looking forward to joining the team at Niva Kuramathi next Easter. It’s always rewarding to see families come together and watch kids learn, grow and have fun through football, while also enjoying everything a destination like the Maldives has to offer. I’m sure this will be a truly memorable academy, and I can’t wait to see the young players embrace the experience, make new friends and create memories that will stay with them long after they leave the island,” said Andy Cole.

The soccer academy reaches beyond the resort. Local Maldivian football clubs will once again join, with young players receiving special coaching sessions led by Cole and Pearce – inspiration and skills passed to the next generation of island footballers.

The Campioni Football Academy places children on the pitch each morning – skills sharpening, friendships forming, the ocean a constant presence at the edge of play. When the final whistle sounds at the end of each daily session, an entire island opens up.

Bageecha Kids Club – complimentary for children aged three to twelve – offers botanic walks, marine encounters, creative workshops, open-air movies, and beach barbecues unfold across a two-week rotating programme designed so that curiosity never runs dry. Open daily from 8.30 am to 6.30 pm, with babysitting available until midnight with 24 hours’ notice.

The Eco Centre invites families to learn about the reef, meet resident marine experts, and take part in coral planting. At the Hydroponics Garden, young explorers discover how the island grows its own produce. Beneath the surface, the house reef reveals grey reef sharks, turtles, and manta rays – reached by guided snorkelling safaris or semi-submarine. On the water, windsurfing and catamaran sailing await, with private lessons available for children aged twelve and above.

While children play, LIME Wellbeing draws on ancient Maldivian ritual and natural oils. Offering a quiet return to balance, the lagoon close and still. As the day eases into evening, the island’s rhythm shifts. Live music and DJ sets create a soundscape across the island, from mellow sunset sessions to late night, upbeat tempos. Parents slip away for cocktails at Laguna Bar or Champagne at the Loft. Dinner unfolds across nine à la carte restaurants: The Reef, La Belle Vie, the theatre of Kobe, Tandoor Mahal, and Siam Garden.

Eleven villa categories open onto sand or sea – from palm-fringed Beach Bungalows to the expansive Two-Bedroom Beach House, a duplex for up to six adults or four adults and two children, with separate living spaces and lagoon views that stretch to the horizon. All Campioni academy participants are required to stay at Niva Kuramathi Maldives for the duration of the programme.

For further information and reservations, please call +960 666 01 50 or email: reservations@nivakuramathi.com. For more inspiration visit, www.nivakuramathi.com.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright all rights reserved by Maldives Promotion House 2023.