Recipe from Sheraton Maldives: Grilled Prawn, Haloumi and Watermelon Salad
This recipe is presented by Sven Cepon, Executive Chef of Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa. Born in Oberhausen of Germany, Sven began his career at home and served with a number of five star hotels in Cyprus and Switzerland for over five years before moving to the Maldives in 2008 as Executive Sous Chef for the W Retreat and Spa Maldives. After having served W Maldives for nearly two years, Sven joined Sheraton Maldives in 2010.
- 100g fine cracked wheat (Bulghur)
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 20 medium prawns, peeled, cleaned, tails intact
- 25g Haloumi, thinly sliced
- Juice of one lemon, or to taste
- 400g seedless watermelon, thinly sliced
- ½ small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup each coarsely torn mint and
- flat-leaf parsley
- Seeds of ½ pomegranate
- Soak cracked wheat in cold water until tender (8-10 minutes), drain well, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 30ml olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add prawns and cook, turning once, until pink (1-2 minutes each side), transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Wipe out pan with absorbent paper, return pan to the heat, add 30ml olive oil and haloumi and cook, turning once, until golden (1-2 minutes each side).
- Remove from heat, squeeze over a little lemon juice, and then arrange haloumi on platter, layering with prawns, watermelon and onion.
- Combine herbs, pomegranate and cracked wheat, season to taste and scatter over salad.
- Return pan to heat, add remaining olive oil and lemon juice, season to taste.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and serve immediately.
Sheraton Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa, a tropical paradise located on its own island. It is a magnet for those seeking stunning white sandy beaches and warm turquoise lagoons. You will feel you belong there from the moment you step into this warm, tropical oasis. Find a haven of pure relaxation or pursue your outdoor passions; the choices are endless.
Part of Sheraton Maldives appeal is the varied dining options available to their guests. From casual al fresco snacks to international array of restaurants, you will find the perfect dining experience to suit your mood. Why not also consider private dining with that special someone under a starlit sky, with soft sand beneath your feet, beside the shimmering lagoon.