Maalifushi by COMO officially opens
Maldives.net.mv – COMO Hotels and Resorts introduces Maalifushi by COMO, a new property in the Maldives. Officially open June 2014 (previously in a soft opening), the 20-acre secluded retreat and private island is the company’s second resort in the Maldives, and its first in the untouched Thaa atoll. Its sister property, Cocoa Island by COMO, located further north in the South Malé atoll, opened in 2002.
The 66-room property features a mix of overwater and garden accommodations, which are ideal for families with small children. It offers seclusion and an abundance of underwater experiences. The island’s white sand and bright turquoise lagoons are surrounded by a string of uninhabited islands, including another small piece of land belonging to the resort that can be booked for castaway picnics and romantic private dinners.
On the main resort island, tropical vegetation featuring exotic birds provides lush “curtains” for private rooms, suites, and villas, as well as Maalifushi’s ‘Madi’ restaurant, ‘Thila’ pool bar and lounge. Overwater accommodations, including a number of luxury suites and villas with private pools, as well as ‘Tai’ restaurant, can be found on the west of the island, all offering uninterrupted views across the ocean. Interiors throughout the resort are by Japanese designer Koichiro Ikebuchi; they bear the hallmarks of COMO’s signature, pared-back style, with locally sourced materials, natural light, and open vistas taking center stage.
Underwater, the Thaa atoll is a range of untouched corals, attracting a host of colorful reef fish and sea creatures. The area offers opportunities to spot Hammerhead and Whale Sharks, a rare treat for dive enthusiasts.
- Three expansive, two-bedroom overwater COMO Villas
- ‘Madi’ restaurant featuring all-day international, Maldivian, and healthful COMO Shambhala Cuisine
- COMO Shambhala Retreat spa with gym, eight overwater treatment rooms, and yoga pavilion
- On-island Dive Center and guided diving excursions led by a Marine Biologist and certified PADI instructors
- Activities and excursions including dolphin cruises, fishing, snorkelling, and sailing