Kurumba Maldives awarded the Travelife Gold Award certification for Sustainability in Tourism
Maldives.net.mv – Kurumba Maldives is proud to announce they have been presented the Travelife Gold award for Hotels & Accommodations. Travelife – the international sustainability certification scheme – assesses a property’s performance in managing their social, environmental and economic impacts.
In order to receive the Travelife Gold certification, a property must meet (or exceed) their 150 sustainability criteria. This includes environmental issues, such as minimizing waste and use of energy, water and chemicals; as well as taking positive action on social issues, such as employee welfare, working with the local community, child protection and human rights. They must also demonstrate how they are helping support local businesses and protect local traditions and wildlife.
Some of the key actions completed by Kurumba Maldives in order to achieve this prestigious award are:
- Reducing energy consumption by installing LED lighting around the resort, replacing air conditioning units to inverter style, increasing room insulation to reduce air conditioning demand, replacing high powered consumption items such as electric ironers, pumps, ovens with lower emergency consumption solutions and using heat exchangers from generators to produce hot water.
- Managing and reducing the amount of waste by purchasing in bulk to reduce wrapping, creating one of Maldives best waste management facilities. The area processes all kitchen wet waste into compost, grinding glass back to a sand to use in cement, chipping plastics to send to recycling and making our own coconut oil out of small unusable coconuts.
- Reducing water consumption and managing the desalination water plant, collecting rainwater for use in irrigation, using dual flush toilets, low-flow showerheads and taps and changing foot wash stations to lower water consumption options.
- Creating awareness about the environment with regular reef clean ups and special events such as Earth Hour and Earth Day with tree planting, encouraging guests to get involved in conservation.
- Continuous commitment to offer employees safe work environment and fair opportunities for development.
- Supporting local charities with events to raise money such as “Party with a Purpose”.
- Supporting the economy and businesses by donating compost to develop the agricultural industry in nearby islands, purchasing from local suppliers where possible and promoting visits to local islands in the area to sustain markets, restaurants and shops.
- Communicating with guests; about linen re-use service to help save water, through a dedicated TV channel with informative videos about safe snorkeling and diving, informing them about protected areas within the reef. Completing back of house tours to highlight the importance of energy, water and waste management.
- Protecting the local culture by serving Maldivian foods and short eats, promoting local artists (musicians, Bodu Beru local dance, Maldivian artists demonstrations etc.), developing the Maldivian inspired treatments at Veli Spa (Dhivehi Beys) and selling locally made souvenirs.
Jason Kruse, General Manager of Kurumba, Maldives commented: “We feel honored to receive the Travelife Gold certification as recognition for the efforts of our team. Running a sustainable resort has always been a priority for Kurumba Maldives and I can honestly say that all team members truly care about the environment. Every little effort makes a difference and we look forward to making more improvements in the future”.