One&Only Reethi Rah has been crowned the Best Hotel in Asia and Africa at The ULTRAS 2017 awards.
Readers of Ultratravel, The Telegraph’s luxury travel magazine, are invited to reveal their favourite hotels, airlines, destinations and more each year. Results for The ULTRAS 2017 awards were revealed at a reception and ceremony at London’s Savoy hotel on May 22.
One&Only Reethi Rah won the award for the Best Hotel in Asia and Africa, beating Banyan Tree Seychelles, Belmond Mount Nelson and Cape Grace in South Africa’s Cape Town, and Royal Mansour in Morocco’s Marrakech.
Other winners include:
- Best Hotel in Europe: Ritz Carlton, London
- Best Hotel in the Americas: Four Seasons Hotel New York
- Best Hotel in Asia/Australia: Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
- Best Hotel in the Middle East: Burj Al Arab Jumeirah, Dubai
- Best Hotel in the World: Burj Al Arab Jumeirah, Dubai
- Best Luxury Tour Operator: Kuoni
- Best Large Luxury Cruise Line: Cunard
- Best Small Luxury Cruise Line: Silversea
- Best River Cruise Line: Viking Cruises
- Best Golf Resort in the World: The Gleneagles Hotel, Scotland
- Best Ski Resort in the World: Whistler, Canada
- Favourite Country for a Holiday: United States
- Best North American Airline: American Airlines
- Best European Airline: British Airways
- Best Asian Airline: Singapore Airlines
- Best Middle Eastern Airlines: Emirates
- Best Airline in the World: Emirates
- Best Airport in the World: Changi, Singapore
- Editor’s Award – Best New Hotel: Six Senses Zil Pasyon, Seychelles
- Editor’s Award – Hotel Group of the Year: Alila Hotels and Resorts
- Editor’s Award – Best Airline Innovation: Qatar Airways’ QSuite
The ceremony was attended by senior members of the luxury travel industry all keen to know if they were among those commended by the well-travelled voters in some of the most prestigious and well-regarded awards in the industry. Accompanying them were personalities including television/radio presenter Vernon Kay, Irish singer Ronan Keating and his wife Storm, former English rugby player Mike Tindall and special guest Sarah, the Duchess of York, accompanied by her daughters Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie.
The awards were preceded by the Ultratravel Forum, which saw industry stalwarts deliberate over issues affecting the luxury travel industry.
Located in North Male Atoll, One&Only Reethi Rah is a luxurious tropical getaway overlooking the Indian Ocean that offers an infinity pool, free Wi-Fi and a peaceful private beach. The elegant villas at One&Only Reethi Rah are situated either over the lagoon or by the beach and enjoy beautiful ocean views. Built over the water, Tapasake Restaurant serves modern Japanese cuisine, while the beachside Fanditha Restaurant offers Middle Eastern food and champagne.
Maldives Association of Tourism Industry (MATI) holds its 34th Annual General Meeting
The Maldives Association of Tourism Industry (MATI) held its 34th Annual General Meeting at Kurumba Maldives today, with a total of 100 members in attendance.
The day’s events began with a welcome address from the Chairman of MATI, Mr. Mohamed Umar, who also presided over the session. The agenda included an address from the Secretary General, Mr. Ahmed Nazeer, the review and approval of the minutes of the 33rd AGM, the review and adoption of the Annual Report and Financial Reports for 2023, the approval of the 2024 budget, the appointment of auditors for 2024, the welcoming of new members and election of executive board members to the two vacant positions (by-election).
In the member discussion session, the following topics were covered: the Government’s aim to reach net-zero emissions by 2023 and renewable energy generation in the Tourism Industry, new terminal of Velana International Airport and developments, employment challenges, the Industrial Relations Act and trade unions, environmental conservation and the significance of creating and executing efficient management plans for protected areas like the South Ari Marine Protected Area (SAMPA).
Following the official proceedings, the Minister of Tourism Hon. Ibrahim Faisal and the Minister of Economic Development and Trade Hon. Mohamed Saeed joined the forum. The Ministers provided remarks and engaged in a Member Q&A session. This session provided members with the chance to directly engage with the Ministers and delve into crucial industry topics. The queries focused on the Economic Outlook, forthcoming development plans and immediate challenges and issues affecting the Tourism Industry.
A video presentation was also showcased that delved into the extensive work undertaken by MATI in 2023. The video also touched upon the Tourism Industry’s performance over the past 5 years, as well as the current and projected human resource capacity of the sector.
In his closing remarks, the Secretary General highlighted the importance of collaborative efforts in addressing industry challenges and called for greater unison amongst industry stakeholders, ending with an acknowledgement of the promising start to the year in terms of arrivals.
Executive Board Members elected to the 2 vacant positions (by-election):
- Ibrahim Shareef, CEO and Managing Director of Maldives Airports Company Limited
- Renato De Olivera, General Manager of The Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands and representative of Marriott International
Unlocking power of travel storytelling at Travel Creators Exchange 2024
Join us for the Travel Creators Exchange 2024, taking place on February 1, 2024, at the Hotel Jen in Male’, Maldives.
This dynamic event provides a platform for networking and collaboration among Maldives-based travel creators, fostering connections, idea-sharing, and the establishment of lasting partnerships to expand opportunities and monetise content.
Our lineup of distinguished speakers includes:
- Zihuny Rasheed, Deputy Managing Director of MMPRC, will present on “Power of Digital Storytelling: Collaborative Strategies for Destination Promotion.” MMPRC actively markets the Maldives globally, utilising a comprehensive approach that includes travel trade shows, roadshows, digital marketing, and more.
- Amjad Thaufeeg, Commercial Director of Kuda Villingili Maldives Resort, brings over 23 years of hospitality industry experience. He will discuss “The Role of Content in Tourism Marketing,” drawing on expertise in revenue, customer service, sales & marketing, and human capital development.
- Suresh Dissanayake, Assistant Vice President of Sales & Marketing of Heritance Aarah & Adaaran Resorts, with nearly two decades of experience, will shed light on “What does a Sales and Marketing Director Do?” He brings extensive luxury hospitality experience and a proven track record in sales, distribution, and marketing.
- Vishal Amir Ahmed, a versatile cinematographer and content creator, will explore “Who is a Content Creator.” Currently associated with Various Arts Studio, he specialises in providing multimedia solutions to various clients.
Organised by Maldives Insider, Maldives Virtual Tour, Travel Trade Maldives, and Hotelier Maldives, this collaborative effort aims to empower Maldives-based travel content creators and elevate the Maldives as a premier destination for captivating travel storytelling.
Acclaimed contemporary artist Ana Pušica explores perpetuality and community at Patina Maldives
Ana Pušica Kramer, an internationally acclaimed contemporary artist, joins Patina Maldives for an exclusive art residency in the now infamous Fari Art Atelier. From January 22 to February 22, 2024, Ana Pušica will grace the shores of the Fari Islands, weaving a vibrant narrative of colour and emotion across her larger than-life canvases.
Her artistry transcends boundaries, melding abstraction and figuration into awe-inspiring masterpieces. Having exhibited globally, from New York to Beijing, Ana’s paintings are a physical, intuitive act rooted in movement. Described as a “beautiful fluorescent thunderstorm,” Ana’s art explores light and colour, capturing the energy of life itself.
The Fari Art Atelier which has previously hosted the likes of Daniel Arsham, Chris Stamp and David Nott, will be transformed into Ana’s studio and gallery showcasing her enthralling artworks—a mesmerising journey through poetry, memory, and the vibrant interplay of colour. Guests at Patina are invited to delve into Ana’s world, where each stroke reveals layers of meaning, evoking sensations of intense lightness and boundless interpretation.
At Patina Maldives, Ana will immerse herself in a month-long residency, inviting the Patina Malidves community or guests and team to witness her artistic fervour firsthand. Guests will have the rare opportunity not only to observe her creative process but also to engage with and create art alongside this luminary.
Experience artistry at its most exclusive
Experience Ana’s captivating exploration of colour and emotion in her spellbinding artworks displayed at the Fari Atelier.
Art Workshops: Message in a Bottle
As part of a collaborative artwork, Ana invites Patina guests to participate in short workshops, actively contributing to the creation of a permanent installation at Patina Maldives.
Open Studio Session
Join Ana for an exclusive open studio session, offering guests a behind the-scenes look at her creative process.
Ana Pušica residency package
Discover a world where creativity knows no bounds as Ana Pušica, the maestro of contemporary art, transforms Patina Maldives into an immersive canvas of inspiration.
Book now to secure your experience.
For more information and reservations, please visit Patina Maldives or contact
Food1 week ago
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives Unveils Mediterraneo by Jeffrey Vella: A Culinary Oasis Redefining Luxury Dining
Celebration1 week ago
Sun Siyam Vilu Reef Celebrates Eid with Enchanting Festivities
Awards1 week ago
Angsana Velavaru nominated in Travel + Leisure World’s Best Awards and Travel + Leisure Luxury Awards Asia Pacific
News1 week ago
Jawakara Islands Maldives Accredited for Jawaka Kids Club by Worldwide Kids
Entertainment1 week ago
Nicole Scherzinger and Thom Evans Indulge in Romantic Valentine’s Day Getaway at Seaside Finolhu Maldives
Featured7 days ago
Bunny hop to an Easter playground at Hard Rock Hotel Maldives and SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton
News1 week ago
Beond to Elevate Inflight Entertainment Experience with Apple Vision Pro
Drink6 days ago
Atmosphere Core Redefines Wine Experiences with Global Events and Unique Partnerships