Recipe from Constance Moofushi: Grilled squid and chilli tomato preserve
For those who like it, the chilli tomato preserve has something of a “cheeky” side that emphasises the texture of the squid without overpowering it. This preserve was born… out of an ordering mistake!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 600g squid fillets
- 30ml olive oil
- 30ml lemon juice
1. Clean the squid fillets, removing the thin film. Rinse them well and score them lightly with a sharp knife.
2. Mix the olive oil with lemon juice, the salt and pepper, and marinate the fillets for 30 minutes.
The chilli tomato preserve:
- 300g whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 red chilli peppers
- 1 star anise (lightly toasted, then crushed in mortar)
- 250g sugar
- 5g garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 70ml white wine vinegar
- 40ml Thai Fish Sauce (Nuoc Mâm)
1. Mix all the ingredients except the fish sauce. Bring it to the boil and let it simmer until it reaches the consistency of a preserve.
2.It will have reduced by a half and it takes approximately two to three hours on a low heat to do this. be sure to stir regularly to avoid the preserve sticking to the bottom of the pan.
3. Season it with fish sauce, which is very salty and must be added gently, depending on your taste.
Finishing and presentation
Drain the squid fillets and grill them on a barbeque.
Place a squid fillet on each plate with a jar of chilli tomato preserve on the side.